Frequently asked questions about studies

Last changed: 01 June 2018

On this webpage you will find our most frequently asked questions about studies.

For more information about studies at SLU please contact

Study and career guidance

I'm not sure which programme to choose, can you help?

Answer: Yes! You're welcome to make an appointment with one of our study and career counsellors to discuss your choice of studies and any questions you may have regarding your career. You are entitled to study and career guidance if you're already an SLU student, or thinking about becoming one. All study and career counsellors are bound by the principle of confidentiality.

How do I make an appointment with one of the study and career counsellors?

Answer: It's simple! You can get in touch with them in several ways – in person, by phone, email or through Skype. Book an appointment via the online portal.

Entry requirements

Do I meet the entry requirements?

Answer: To be able to study at a Swedish university you must meet the general entry requirements. For a specific programme or single course, you may also have to meet specific entry requirements.

  • General entry requirements for bachelor´s level. You should successfully have completed your upper secondary (high school) education and you need documented proficiency in English and basic knowledge in mathematics. Read more about bachelor's level entry requirements at All bachelor's degree programmes and most bachelor-level courses at SLU, are only offered in Swedish. To apply for these, you need documented proficiency in Swedish.
  • General entry requirements for programmes at master's level. You must have been awarded a bachelor's degree, and you need documented proficiency in English. Read more about entry requirements at
  • Specific entry requirements. In addition to the general entry requirements. You may have to meet specific entry requirements for the course or programme. These specific requirements are outlined in the individual course and programme descriptions on our website. All courses at master's level require previous university studies, either general studies or studies within a specific subject.

You will find specific entry requirements for all our master's programmes in the programme descriptions on our website. All our courses, and their specific entry requirements, are presented in our course database.

How do I meet the English language requirements?

Answer: Most of the courses and programmes at SLU require the equivalent of English 6 or English course B. You can meet these requirements through certain courses in English at upper secondary (high school) level, certain university studies or internationally approved English tests. More information on how to meet the English language requirements can be found on

How do I demonstrate that I meet the Swedish language requirements?

Answer: You can demonstrate your Swedish eligibility though the courses Swedish 1, 2, 3, or Swedish for foreigners 1, 2, 3, or the Tisus-test.


Where and when do I apply for courses and programmes at SLU?

Answer: You apply for courses and programmes at SLU at At, you can also see which of your qualifications that have already been registered, and you can read your preliminary assessment and reply to your notification of selection results.

It is important that you apply in time. The deadline for application depends on which course or programme you want to apply for. Find out more about important dates.

You can make a late application for many of our courses and programmes after the deadline for application. For more information, see late application.

How do I apply to study at SLU?

Answer: You will find information on how to apply to a master's programme at SLU, step by step, at

Please read the information carefully to make sure you don't overlook important information.

Can I apply for a bachelor's programme at SLU?

Answer: SLU does not offer any programmes in English at Bachelor's level.

Do I need to send a letter of recommendation, letter of intent, CV, or summaries of essays?

Answer: No! SLU does not require a letter of recommendation, letter of intent, CV or summaries of essays. You will find more information about how to document your eligibility at

Does it matter how I rank my choice of courses or programmes?

Answer: Yes, a very important part of the application process is ranking the courses and programmes you're applying for. If there is a place available, and you meet the entry requirements, you will be offered a place on the course or programme that you have ranked as your first choice. This means that you will be evaluated for your first choice first. You can read more about ranking your selections at

You will only be offered one study place on a programme. This means that if you are offered a place on a programme with a higher ranking, the programme(s) with a lower ranking will be deleted from your application.

Can I change the ranking order after submitting my application?

Answer: Yes, you can change the ranking order until the application deadline. After the application deadline, you cannot change the ranking order of the programmes that you have already applied to. You may, however, add programmes and place them anywhere in the ranking order. You may also delete programmes and add them to the application again, but in a different place. If you add new courses and programmes after the deadline, your application will be considered a late application. You can read more about applying after the deadline at

I didn't apply in time. What are my chances of being admitted to a specific programme or course?

Answer: Even if the application deadline has passed it might still be possible to submit a late application to courses and programmes. If a course or programme is open for late application, this is indicated by a green 'add' button next to the name in the course/programme listing at

It is always better to submit a complete application by the respective deadline. That way, you can ensure that you will be considered for the courses or programmes you have applied for. SLU processes all late applications in strict order by application date. Your chances depend on the number of students who have applied in time and have accepted their place, and of course on where you are on the waiting list.

Late applications are processed strictly by application date. The application date is the date your application had been made and was complete with all necessary documentation verifying that you meet the entry requirements. You will receive a notification by email once your late application has been processed. Log in to your account at to view your notification of selection results.

More information about late applications and waiting lists can be found on SLU's student web.

What happens if I forget to reply to my offer?

Answer: If you forget to reply to your offer in time to the first notification of selection results, the offer will be deleted. Read more on how to reply to your offer at

If the course or programme you forgot to reply to is open for late application, you can make a late application via

If the course or programme is closed for late application, you cannot submit a late application. Instead, you will have to wait until next time the course or programme is open for application.

My application for a specific course or programme has been deleted in the selection because I didn't meet the requirements. What do I do now?

Answer: If your choice has been deleted in the selection because you did not meet the requirements, and if later on you meet all the requirements, you can make a late application. This is only possible if the course or programme is open for late application (the green 'add' button).

You can read more about why your application has been deleted in the section on the notification of selection results at

I'm on the waiting list. How do I know if I will be offered a place, and when will I know?

Answer: Late applications are processed by arrival date of your application. The arrival date is the date your application had been made and was complete with all necessary documentation verifying that you meet the entry requirements. You will receive a notification by email once your late application has been processed. Log in to your account at to view your notification of selection results.

Please see the section on waiting list and late application for more information.

I'm on the waiting list for a course or programme. Can I show up on the first day of class and be registered if someone else doesn't show up?

Answer: No, only students who are admitted to studies should attend the roll call. There is no point attending the roll call if you haven't been admitted to a course or a programme.

More info: waiting list and late application

Admission and selection criteria


Can I apply even if I don't meet the requirements?

Answer: Yes, if you know that you will meet the requirements by the time the master's degree programme or the course starts. If you apply in time, and you don't meet all the requirements by that time, but the SLU Admissions Office can see that there is a possibility you will meet the requirements by the time the course or programme starts, you can be conditionally admitted.

How does the selection work?

Answer: If there are more applicants who meet the entry requirements for a course or a programme than there are places, a selection must be made from among the applicants. This selection is based on e.g. grades from adult education college, the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test and credits, and it's possible to belong to several selection groups. Only the credits you have completed by the deadline for application are considered when the selection is made. If two or more applicants for a particular option have the same merit rating, the places will be awarded by the drawing of lots.

If a course is offered both as part of a programme and as a freestanding course, at least ten per cent of the places will be reserved for applicants for the freestanding course.

Late application for a course or programme follows the same procedure as a regular application. If you make a late application, you will be placed after those who applied by the deadline. Your application will then be ranked by the date on which it was received.

You can find out more about the allocation of places and the selection process at and in SLU's admission regulations.

Financial aid for studies


Are there any scholarships I can apply for?

Answer: Scholarships are available for fee-paying students admitted to master's programmes. The scholarships are awarded by both SLU and the Swedish Institute (SI).

Scholarships offered by SLU

For the autumn semester 2016, SLU will offer three to five scholarships. The SLU scholarships are offered to students applying, in time, for a two-year master's programme as their first choice at

All students applying for a master's programme in time (15 January the latest), with a SLU programme as their first choice, will receive information about how to apply for a scholarship. Remember to apply in time. You'll receive the necessary information about the SLU scholarships around 20 January, and the deadline for applying for a scholarship will be at the beginning of February. A scholarship offered by SLU only covers tuition fees. It is very important that your application for a scholarship is complete.

Scholarships offered by the Swedish Institute

Scholarships awarded by the Swedish Institute cover both tuition fees and living expenses. There is a number of different scholarships available depending onyour background.

To read more about scholarships from the Swedish Institute, please visit:

If there are any new scholarship announcements (in swedish), you will find them on the student web.



Who has to pay application and tuition fees?

All citizens of countries that are not members of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, who study at a Swedish university, and who do not have any other kind of residence permit in Sweden other than a residence permit for studies, will need to pay application and tuition fees.

Formal exchange students and doctoral students are exempted from tuition fees, as well as the application fee. Students who are registered on a course or programme at a Swedish university at the time they submit their application are not required to pay an application fee.

You can read more about fees at

Residence permit

How do I apply for a residence permit for studies at SLU?

If you will study at SLU for more than 3 months and you are NOT an EU/EES citizen, you will need a residence permit. Please follow the steps below. You can read more on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Step 1: Before you can apply for a residence permit you have to pay the tuition fee to SLU. If you are not an EU citizen, you will be required to pay tuition fees, and proof of payment is required for your residence permit application. If you will receive a scholarship, you are required to send a certificate of the scholarship which proves your tuition fees will be covered.

Step 2: Go to Migrationsverket's website.

Step 3: Ensure you have all of the following documents, which you will need to upload as part of your application for a residence permit:

A copy of your passport (which must be valid during the time which you will live in Sweden)A letter of acceptance to a full-time study program at SLUBank statements which prove you will be able to support yourself during your study period, or scholarship*Proof of a comprehensive insurance policy

*The maintenance requirement is at least SEK 8,190 per month. Your bank statements must show that you have secured at least this amount of money through your own bank assets, grants, or scholarships for the entire period of your studies. If you will study for more than one year, you need to show your maintenance is secured for 10 months of the year.

Step 4: Fill out the application online. Once you begin your application, your data will only save for 48 hours before it is erased and you have to start again, so make sure you have all documents ready to upload when you begin.

Step 5: Pay the application fee of 1000 SEK, payable online with either Visa or MasterCard.

Once you have completed the steps and submitted your application, it can take between 1-3 months for a decision, so be sure to apply early. It is possible they might contact you before the decision is reached for further information. The decision will be reached faster if they do not ask you for further information.

Distance studies


Can I take a master's programme or course at distance?

Answer: The only master's degree programme at SLU given partly as distance teaching is Outdoor Environments for Health and Wellbeing.

If you want to find out which courses are given as distance courses, you can filter your search by ticking the box 'Distance courses only'. However, please note that distance courses often contain several compulsory meetings on campus.

Freestanding courses


Can I apply for freestanding courses at SLU?

Answer: Yes, many of the courses within our programmes are also offered as freestanding courses. Most courses at master's level are taught in English, and most courses at bachelor's level are taught in Swedish. You can find all our courses in the course database, along with information about the language of instruction and whether the course is open to non-programme students.

To narrow your search and only show freestanding courses, please select 'Only open courses' in the programme list box.

Can I apply for freestanding courses in animal science, equine studies, veterinary nursing and veterinary medicine at SLU?

Answer: No courses in equine studies, veterinary nursing or veterinary medicine are offered as freestanding courses. Only a few courses in animal science are offered as freestanding courses.

The most important things to know as a new student


What do I need to know as a new student at SLU?

Answer: As a new student, it can be quite challenging to take in all the important information. There is much to think about, and to help you start your studies in the best way possible, we have prepared a checklist for new students.


How do I find accommodation that suits me?

Answer: Finding an appropriate place to live can be a difficult, competitive and time-consuming process. The earlier you start looking and applying for accommodation, the more options you will have. Once you know where you will be studying, the best thing you can do is to put your name down on an accommodation list. The more lists you are on, the better your chance of finding accommodation.

SLU offers an accommodation guarantee for exchange students and fee-paying students only,  (also fee-paying with scholarship). 
You will get an accommodation offer by email.
SLU will send you an offer no later than 1 July (autumn semester) or 1 December (spring semseter).

Study with disabilities


I have a disability – what kind of support can I get?

Answer: You can receive special educational support if you have a long-term physical or mental disability such as dyslexia, a neuropsychiatric disorder, a chronic disease or are hard of hearing.

In order to receive special educational support you need to apply for it. You must fill in an application form and provide a medical certificate, a dyslexia assessment or other supporting documents.

The support is individually designed through a consultation between you and the contact person on your campus. A number of different kinds of support are available, such as talking books, adapted examinations and note-taking assistance. You can read more about the different kinds of support on the student web.

If you fall ill

What should I do in case I get sick?  

For emergencies or life-threatening situations: Call 112

112 is an emergency number for emergency assistance when there is danger to life, property or environment. Call 112 if there is a fire or any other situation requiring ambulance, fire or police services. You can speak to an operator both in Swedish and English.

For emergencies regarding health and life, it is also possible to go directly to the accidents and emergencies unit (akutmottagning). Check which A&E unit is the closest to where you live.

For non-emergency health care: Call 1177

If you need advice on your medical condition and cannot decide whether you need to see a doctor or not, call 1177 in order to speak to a qualified nurse. Their services are available all day and the call is free of charge. 1177 services are provided both in Swedish and in English.

As an SLU student, you are also entitled to the services of the Student Health Centre.

If you miss a compulsory component of your course due to illness, it's a good idea to let the course leader know.

You can find more information about what to do in case of illness on the student web.



Am I insured during my studies at SLU, and what does the insurance cover?

Answer: Yes, you are insured. All students and doctoral students are covered during their time at SLU by the personal injury insurance for students provided by Kammarkollegiet (the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency). Please note that if you travel abroad as part of a course or independent project, you must take out additional insurance.

Study abroad


Can I go on exchange during my studies?

Answer: Yes, you can. SLU has over one hundred exchange agreements with universities worldwide.

On the student web you can read more about your possibilities of studying abroad. There, you will find information about where you can go on exchange, how to apply and who to contact for more information. You can also read travelogues from SLU students who have taken part in exchange studies at different universities.

Schedule and course literature

Where can I find the course schedule and reading list?

Answer: You can find your course schedule and reading list on the course web, which you access from the student web. Find your course through SLU's course database or through the course schedule.

A preliminary reading list and schedule will be available approximately 8 weeks before the course starts. In case they're not available in due time, please contact the course team.

To work and study at the same time

I wish to work and study at the same time, is that possible?

Answer: All of the SLU master programmes, except Outdoor Environments for Health and Well-being, are full-time programmes. This implies that you, as a student on a SLU programme, are enrolled in full-time studies which don't leave much time for other activities such as a full-time job.

You need to check carefully which lectures and course components are compulsory, and carefully plan the independent study time before you decide to take on a part-time job.

Finding and getting a part-time job in Sweden can be quite difficult. Many students are looking for part-time jobs, which means that the demand exceeds the supply. Most employers also require Swedish language skills. With this in mind, it is not recommended to try to finance your stay in Sweden by working. Make sure you can cover your living expenses using other resources. If you do wish to look for a job, we recommend that you begin your search at Arbetsförmedlingen (the Swedish public employment service). Visit their website, call their customer service or visit the local Arbetsförmedlingen office


How do I apply for my degree?

Answer: There are two ways to apply for a degree from SLU. You can either do it through Ladok Student or by using the application form on the student web. Once you have applied for your degree, it usually takes three to four weeks before the degree certificate is sent to you. This is provided that your application is correct, and that all your courses are completed and have been reported in Ladok.

How do I know if I meet the qualification requirements for a specific degree?

Answer: It depends on what kind of degree you're applying for. The qualification requirements show what is needed for a specific degree. You can read more about the degrees awarded by SLU on the student web. You can also read about the qualification requirements on the web pages of each programme.

Proof of admission, certificate of registration and transcript of records

How do I order a proof of admission, certificate of registration or transcript of records?

Answer: You can print your official proof of admission from You can download a transcript of records and certificate of registration yourself by logging in to the SLU Student web. Click on "Ladok Student" and follow the instructions.

However, if you want to order a signed copy of the documents listed above you can do so by following the instructions on the student web. The official transcript of records will be sent to the address you requested.

At our Service Centre, you can also get help obtaining different documents.

Credit transfer


How to apply for a credit transfer?

Answer: You apply for a credit transfer if you want to include courses from other higher education institutions in your degree. You cannot transfer credits for courses from a bachelor's degree that you have used to qualify for a master's programme, to a master's degree. More information about credit transfer is available on the student web.

Student cards


How do I get the SLU student access card?

Answer: All students can receive an access card that will, among other things, give access to, computer labs. The card is also connected to the university printers. You can pick up your access card the day after you have been registered in my studies. More information about the access cards.

Important information: This card must not to be mistaken for a student card that entitles you to various discounts, nor can it be used to prove that you are a student. It is only an access card for the buildings on campus.

How do I get the SLU student union card?

Answer: The student union card is a benefits card which you are entitled to as a member of a student union. The card will be sent to your registered address. The card is issued by either Mecenat or Studentkortet. Both are proof of being an active student, but the conditions might differ.

Visit your student union's web page for more information.

How do I get the Mecenat card?

Answer: Joining the student union is the easiest way to get the Mecenat card. If you want to join or are already a member of a student union at SLU, contact them for help getting your Mecenat card, as all student union members receive the card automatically. If you are NOT a member of a student union yet, it is easy to apply for the Mecenat card directly on their website. Read further instructions on how to get a Mecenat card on the Checklist for Newly Admitted Students.

Veterinary medicine


Can I study veterinary medicine at SLU?

Answer: The programme in veterinary medicine is a 5.5-year programme, which is only offered in Swedish.


Study and career guidance

Ask us about: courses or programmes, which education that suits you and how to reach your future goals, your study environment and career after graduating.

Do you have questions about the university or our programmes? Maybe you can find your answers here.
FAQ: Frequently asked questions about studies

Book an appointment
Contact us by telephone or email to schedule a private conversation. We can also provide guidance via Skype and telephone.


+46 (0)18 67 28 00 

Telephone hours
Monday 10-12
Tuesday 10-12
Thursday 13-15

Page editor: