Exchange studies

Last changed: 19 December 2016 -
Foto: Matilda Lindström

Studying abroad is a good way for you to broaden your knowledge of your subject, develop your language skills and make new contacts in a totally different culture. SLU is in partnership with over 100 universities around the world, so there are good opportunities for you to find an exciting country or a higher education institution which is tailored specifically to you and your programme.

Most students on three-year programmes choose to go on an exchange during their final year. Students on longer programmes usually find it best to do their exchange studies during year four or five.

You can apply for student finance from CSN for your exchange studies. In addition, if you choose to study at a university in Europe with which SLU has an agreement, you are eligible for a scholarship.

In the menus below we have gathered information which could be useful for you to have before you decide to study abroad.

How does it work?

If you want to go on an exchange study programme, it is important that you apply in good time and ensure that your application is well written. You must find out for yourself whether there are courses at the foreign university that you can study and then transfer the credits to your degree at SLU.

It is therefore important that you discuss your study plan with your programme director of studies or the Erasmus Coordinators available.

Erasmus+ scholarship

If you wish to study at another European university, you can do so as an Erasmus student. Erasmus is an exchange programme financed by the European Commission. If you are granted an Erasmus placement you will receive the scholarship. There will a bit of paperwork for you keep track of.

The scholarship is a grant to cover additional costs in during your exchange. The sum is EUR 375/month for studies in Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Lichtenstein, Norway, Great Britain and Austria. For all other European countries it is EUR 315/month. The scholarship is paid before the exchange takes place.

Nordplus scholarship

Studying abroad does not necessarily mean you have to travel far away. There are great opportunities to travel as an exchange student within the Nordic region and the Baltic States as part of what is known as Nordplus . You can choose to be away for a period lasting from one week to twelve months, and you can study in Norway, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia. 

If you are allocated an exchange placement on the Nordplus programme, a scholarship is always included. This means you need not apply separately for a scholarship. In order to qualify for a Nordplus scholarship, you must be studying full-time and living in your country of study.

  • For periods of study lasting longer than one month, the scholarship is EUR 200 per month.
  • You will also receive a travel scholarship of EUR 250 if you travel to Norway, Estonia, Denmark, Latvia, Finland or Lithuania, and EUR 350 if you travel to Iceland.
  • If you are away for a shorter time, the scholarship is EUR 330 per week for all countries participating in Nordplus apart from Iceland, where the scholarship is EUR 430.

Please contact a study adviser at, your programme director of studies or the Erasmus Coordinator for your studies to discuss your options.

Residence permit and visa

If you are going to study in an EU country for less than three months, you do not need a residence permit or a visa. You do, however, need a valid passport. If you are going to study for more than three months, you are entitled to a residence permit. You apply for a residence permit after your arrival in your country of study. You must by that time be registered at your host university and have insurance and sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay.

Countries outside Europe require a residence permit/student visa. Contact the embassy or consulate representing the country you will be going to. You cannot, however, apply for a residence permit before you have been notified of your acceptance at the university where you are to study.

Credit transfer of studies abroad

When you have completed your studies abroad, you are to apply for a credit transfer so that your studies abroad will count towards your degree.  You will find further information on the Student´s web page on credit transfers.

SLU holds regular information meetings where you will find out everything you need to know before you apply.

Where can I go?

SLU has agreements with universities located throughout Europe. To see which agreements apply in your particular subject, go on MoveOn, the SLU database for exchange studies   and search for the faculty to which you belong.

Do look at the mutual agreements shown under “All faculties” so as not to overlook important information. The database also contains links to the websites of the universities. There you will find information on the courses offered by those universities. Remember that there are a lot of good universities where you can study courses given in English, including those in countries which are non-English-speaking.

Double Degree at Cranfield University, England

If you are about to complete your Master’s programme, you can spend your final year at the renowned institution of Cranfield University, and receive a double degree. Here iyou can find more information on Cranfield and how to apply.


When and how do I apply?

Final application date

If you want to do exchange studies in the academic year 2017/2018 the application period is November 1st-December 1st  2016.

In order for your exchange to be as successful as possible, a fair amount of preparation is required. This is where you will find information on entry requirements, which language skills are needed, and how the application process works.

Entry requirements

In order to qualify to go on exchange studies at SLU, you must:

  • have carried out at least one year of full-time study at SLU before going on exchange studies.
  • have completed at least 75% of the courses on which you have registered. If you have had a break from studying, your absence should be registered in Ladok.
  • ensure that your exchange studies will count towards your degree at SLU. You must have had your choice of courses abroad approved in advance by your programme director of studies or similar.
  • have sufficiently good language skills so you can carry out your university studies in the relevant language. Read more about this further below under language skills.
  • do two language tests, one before the exchange and the other at the end of it. Applies only to an Erasmus exchange.

Language skills

In SLU:s experience, Swedish students usually cope well studying in English and experience no major difficulties. The universities in Europe usually accept SLU:s corroboration that a student’s level of competence is the minimum equivalent of English B. Certain universities do not therefore require a language test, while others do.

In order to apply for exchange studies where the language of instruction is not English, you must attach certification to your application which show your language skills in the relevant language. If you are interested in studying in Spain, France, Italy or Chile, you must expect instruction to be given in the national language of the country. Consider whether you need to take an extra language course either before you go or during your stay at the foreign university. One good way of practising the language before you go is to socialise with exchange students studying at SLU.


Applications are welcome as of one month before the final application date. You apply by completing a form which is available here during the application period.

You can choose from three different exchange options. It is important that all of these options offer courses in your area and at the right level.

Documents to upload with your application

  • CV
  • Photo
  • Certification showing your language skills if you are going to study a language other than English.
  • Study records if you have studied at a university other than SLU and the studies are relevant to your programme at SLU. One example would be if you have had a break from your studies in order to study at another university.
  • You should also give your reasons for wanting to study abroad by answering a number of questions on this. Give a brief account in Swedish or English or the language you are comfortable with.

The form works best in the web browser Mozilla Firefox. Do use your student email address when completing the form. You cannot add other supplements to your application once you have submitted it!

What happens once you have submitted your application?

The processing of your application will begin straight after the final application date. We will get in touch if supplements are required.


We do not assess your application on the basis of which grades you have received on your courses or whether you have been an active member of the students’ union. We base our assessment entirely on the content of your application. It is also crucial that you have applied for courses where the credits earned will count towards your degree at SLU. If there are two students competing for one exchange place, the successful applicant will be selected by drawing lots.


Nominations for SLU:s exchange placements are made by the international students officers at the International Students Office at SLU.  However, it is always the host university which decides whether or not to accept you. That said, it is most unusual that a nominated student is not accepted.

When the decision has been made as to which students will be nominated for an exchange, all the students are informed by email. This also applies to those who have not been given an exchange placement.

If you accept your nomination, you will be invited to a meeting where you will be given information on how to proceed with your application for the foreign university.

Go global - on your home turf at SLU

Maybe you don’t have the chance to travel abroad to study or take up a placement? Or maybe you feel you’re not really ready yet? As a student at SLU you need not travel anywhere to come into contact with the world.

International committees

Most students’ unions at SLU have international committees. Contact these and get to know our exchange students from all corners of the world. This is a good way of practising a language, learning more about your subject in other countries and making contacts.

Courses with an international orientation

SLU is a world leader in research addressing global issues which are connected to our areas of study. There are many interesting courses on offer which have an international orientation; a number of these are given in English where the students come mostly from an international background.

Studying abroad without assistance

Does SLU not have any partner universities that interest you? Do you feel you want to study abroad anyway? Bear in mind that you must allow yourself plenty of time to prepare because you yourself will need to obtain all the information, maintain contact with the university and authorities and see to your choice of course, your application and everything else. 

  • Find out how much the tuition fees are, if applicable. Certain universities in the EU charge no fees if you are an EU citizen.
  • You yourself must organise your visa, accommodation, insurance and all other practical matters.
  • Embassies and consulates, or institutes connected to them, can often assist with information. 
  • If you require student finance, you need to check that the university is recognised or comes under state supervision. You are responsible for finding out what the actual study programme is worth; i.e. if it qualifies for student finance and if the credits earned can count towards your studies on your return home. 
  • Make sure that you meet the entry requirements and have sufficiently good language skills. Usually your upper secondary school qualifications will require translation. A template for translation into English is available on the Swedish National Agency for Education’s website. 
  • If you need an approved translation of your qualifications, you can apply to Kammarkollegiet for an authorised translator. NEVER submit the originals of your qualifications.
  • If you have any certificates showing that you qualify for higher education courses, you can obtain these from the Swedish Council for Higher Education’s website (UHR).
  • Contact the university directly and ask for information and application documents. Some countries operate a central admission system, while others require you to apply directly to the university - this can also vary within the same country. 
  • Fill in your application with care. An application which is not correctly filled in or not received in time may be discarded straight away!
  • There are a number of private-sector institutions which recruit students for universities abroad. They are very familiar with these universities, and usually assist with applications and everything of relevance that is free of charge, since they are funded by these same universities for whom they are recruiting. This means that you may have to pay the tuition fee at “their” university.
  • You should apply for approved leave from your studies for the period you are studying abroad.
  • Maybe you can find out about some scholarships worth applying for? There are compiled lists available online and companies who will perform searches for a fee.

Master’s degrees and PhDs abroad

There is also the opportunity for you to study your entire Master’s programme abroad. It is, for example, possible for students to apply for a scholarship as part of an ongoing Erasmus Mundus Joint Master’s Degree or an Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate.

In September 2016, 106 Erasmus Mundus Joint Master’s Degrees, for which all students at SLU can apply, will be offered. You will find more information here on which Master’s programmes are offered .

There are also 17 Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorates. Students can apply for the 2016/2017 academic year.
You will find more information here on which doctoral programmes are offered .


Summer courses and other short courses abroad

Summer course coming under the NOVA/BOVA network

Do you want to experience something new during your summer break and at the same time earn credits? Summer courses suit those who may not want to study abroad for a whole semester or may be wondering whether studying abroad appeals to them. SLU is a member of various networks which arrange summer courses.

NOVA and BOVA are two networks made up of Nordic and Baltic universities which, just like SLU, offer studies in life science. These networks organise short courses lasting between five days and four weeks.

If you go on a NOVA or BOVA course, you can apply for a Nordplus scholarship . You apply to SLU for the scholarship once you have been accepted on the course.

ELLS summer courses

ELLS is a network made up of seven European Life Science universities. There are ten summer courses to choose from. Apply via ELLS .

If you go on an ELLS summer course you can apply for a travel grant of EUR 500 irrespective of the country where the course is offered (with the exception of courses offered in Sweden).

SLU advertises 10 travel scholarships per academic year, and these are settled by drawing lots if there are more than 10 applicants. The decision to award a travel grant is only taken after you have been accepted to the course.

The final application date for travel grant is May 31. You apply for a travel scholarship separately.

Form for application for travel grant.


Enterprise and the Environment Summer school, Oxford

9 - 21 July 2017.

Application deadline is 31 May.

The Smith School for Enterprise and the Environment at Oxford University is delighted to offer its Enterprise and the Environment Summer School from 9th – 21st July 2017.

Designed and taught by Oxford faculty, and taking place here at the Oxford University Centre for the Environment, the two-week course is ideal for those already studying related topics who would like to supplement their current studies, whether in finance, management, economics, or environmental science and engineering. This would also be a great opportunity for those considering further study or a career in related fields of environment and enterprise. 

We would be very pleased to welcome students from Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences to the Summer School and would be most grateful if you were able to share this programme on your ‘Study Abroad’ lists and among your students. A course brochure and further information is available on our website here

If you have any questions about this programme, please contact our Executive Education Coordinator at

Sustainable agriculture for rural development

Aleksandras Stulginskis University, Kaunas, Lithuania 4 ECTS

Distance learning part: 6 March – 31 March 2017 Meeting in person: 3 – 7 April 2017

Online registration

Additional course information

Anastasija Novikova,

Registration deadline

6 March 2017.


Agroecology international summer school in Lyon, France

June 8 - July 12, 2017 in Lyon, FRANCE

Coursework consists of lectures, case studies, field work, excursions (fish pond landscape, mixed crop livestock systems in mountains areas and conservation biological control in vegetal production), use of geographical information system, economics, agronomy and ecology, traditional food systems, local food supply chains, personal research study.

Application deadline: March, 31, 2017

Contact: Sigolène Verneret,

Page editor: